BEWARE THE SCAM-2

Sunday, December 11, 2011

FREE CHRISTMAS RECIPE

I’m taking a couple of weeks off from my Blog for the holidays, but hope to be back on January 8th. Meanwhile, to keep busy, I suggest you try my recipe for PECAN PUMPKIN PIE. Everyone who comments on this site will get a recipe via e-mail so there’s time to make the pies and serve them at your Christmas dinner. In addition, I’m giving away seven copies of an anthology of romance short stores (one of which is mine, of course) and one each of my three most popular books.

Is this Pecan Pumpkin Pie really good? Well, I take them to our family dinner every year; and when I walk in the door, the first question I’m asked is, “Did you bring the pies?”

Furthermore, when my son was getting married and I asked what he wanted for a wedding present, he said, “Your pumpkin pie.”

I’d love to say it’s easy to make. And it is--sort of. But there is one thing to watch out for, and I’ll illustrate that by telling you what happened the first two times I tried it.

As you’ll see when you read the recipe, the pumpkin filling goes in the pie plate first and the “crust” goes on top before baking. The recipe called for lining the pie plate with waxed paper, so that, when you turned the pie upside down, it would slide out of the plate and you’d just peel off the paper for cutting and serving. Well, not quite. The problem was I had used a glass pie plate and no way would that pie come out! We ended up cutting portions anyway, and guests had to peel off bits of wax paper from their slice.

But I learned. I told myself that the reason the pie didn’t come out was because the glass pie plate was inflexible. The next year, I bought two of those foil pie plates from the supermarket and put the filling in those. But, when the pies were ready to go into the oven, I discovered the foil pans were too flexible and they collapsed. Yes, I had pie filling all over the oven, plus the oven door as well as the kitchen floor!

The trick (after two more pies had to be made): put the foil pans into glass pans first, then line the foil with wax paper, fill with batter, add the magic crust ingredients, and bake. Not only does that keep the pies intact for baking, but also for carrying them easily to grandmother’s house.

So that’s a Christmas present from me to you, and I hope your holidays are Merry. Come see me in the New Year and learn what Nora Roberts and I have in common. (Hint: it’s not money.)

7 comments:

  1. From one Pie Expert to another - good blog! Love the idea of pecan pumpkin pie -

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tip for putting the foil pans inside the glass ones! Having the guests removing their own wax paper was probably embarrassing, but it sounds like the pies were more than memorable!

    Wishing you a happy holiday season as well, Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds intriguing! I'd love to have the recipe! Have a wonderful holiday with your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was awesome, Phyllis. Look forward to the recipe now that I know HOW to bake it. Thanks so much and have a wonderful, happy, MERRY CHRISTMAS.
    Best, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne, Kristen, Misty, Joy. Thanks so much for your comments. I'm new at this giveaway stuff, but I need your e-mail addresses so I can send the recipe, and your choice of book, COLD APRIL, NORTH BY NORTHEAST, or THE GREEN BOUGH. You can read about each on my website. Next question, do you want trade paper or e-book? In the case of the anthol[ogy, I need an address because there's no e-book.

    Lynne: I'm only an expert on a few pies. Would love to know your favorite recipe.

    Kristen, Yes, it was embarrassing, but luckly they were around for the times I got it right.

    Misty, Thanks for the holiday greetings. I hope to make the pie.

    Joy: So nice to hear from you. I hope your writing is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great recipe! Thanks for being willing to share it with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cori:

    Thanks for your comment. If you give me your e-mail address, I'll send the recipe right away. The book may take longer and I'll need a street address.

    ReplyDelete

Speak to me! I'm listening!